Fishing Derby 2014 – August 3rd at 12:45pmPosted by Sean McGinnis on Jul 2, 2013 in Upcoming Events | 0 comments
Get those fishing poles ready! It’s time for our annual Fishing Derby on Sunday, August 3rd!
(Fishing 1:00pm – 2:00pm)
Show up at 12:45 to get your card & place for the 1:00 start!!
(Other Events: 2:00 – 3:00)
There is a retention pond located at the corner of Willow and Third Street in the William’s Ridge subdivision on the north side of Elburn. The location is city owned and public property so we can spread out around the entire pond.
Hot Spot Casting contest (closest to the flag), Target Casting contest (casting for accuracy), Largest Fish Caught, Most Fish Caught, and guess the number of Goldfish in the fish bowl!
What to bring:
You will need one fishing pole for each Scout and your own tackle along with a folding chair, sun screen, and choice of bait.
Contests and Awards:
Each scout will receive a patch for attending the fishing derby. Trophies will be given for the various contests and a special prize will be handed out for the person who has the best guess on how many goldfish are in the fish bowl.
Rules and Regulations:
Size and Number of fish for the one hour fishing tournament will be on the Scouts Honor system.
All other events will be recorded by an adult volunteer located at each station.
- Hot Spot Casting Contest - Each Scout will take three casts from a standing and 3 from a sitting position. Each cast will be marked with a flag and the closest cast to the pin will be recorded (use your own pole, casting lures will be provided).
- Target Casting Contest - Each Scout will get (5) casts from behind a line. Scouts will be awarded points for the amount on the target hit, or 5 points if it is a miss. Every Scout should have a minimum score of 25 points (use your own pole, casting lures will be provided).
- Most Fish Caught - Each fish a Scout catches should be recorded on the note card.
- Largest Fish Caught - Each Scout should record the length of each fish in inches on the note card, with the largest being entered for the award. Wooden rulers will be provided.
- Each Scout will have the same 1 Hour to fish. Once complete, please turn in your card at the registration table if not collected by helpers. Fishing will begin promptly at 1:00pm and end at 2:00pm.
- Please remember that this is a “Catch & Release” fishing activity.
- Take a picture and carefully place the fish back in the pond.
- Be respectful of our neighbors who live in the area.
- As always, let’s practice “Leave No Trace” at the fishing derby.
Contact Tom Spence (630-577-7854) or Chris Rosati (630-365-6634) with any questions.