Fishing Derby 2013 – August 4, 2012 1: 00 – 4:00 PMPosted by Sean McGinnis on Oct 8, 2012 in Recent Events | 0 comments
Final hour of fishing begins at 3:00 PM.
There is a retention pond located at the corner of Willow and Third Street in the William’s Ridge subdivision on the north side of Elburn. The location is city owned and public property so we can spread out around the entire pond.
Hot Spot Casting contest (closest to the flag), Target Casting contest (casting for accuracy), Largest Fish Caught, Most Fish Caught, and guess the number of Goldfish in the fish bowl!
What to bring:
You will need a fishing pole and your own tackle along with a folding chair, sun screen, and choice of bait.
Contests and Awards:
Each scout will receive a patch for attending the fishing derby. Trophies will be given for the various contests and a special prize will be handed out for the person who has the best guess on how many goldfish are in the fish bowl.
Rules and Regulations:
Size and Number of fish for the one hour fishing tournament will be on the Scouts Honor system. Start and finish times will be recorded at the Fishing Station. All other events will be recorded by an adult volunteer located at each
- Hot Spot Casting Contest – Each Scout will take three casts from a standing and 3 from a sitting position. Each cast will be marked with a flag and the closest cast to the pin will be recorded (use your own pole, casting lures will be provided).
- Target Casting Contest – Each Scout will get 10 casts from behind a line. Scouts will be awarded points for the amount on the target hit, or 5 points if it is a miss. Every Scout should have a minimum score of 50 points (use your own pole, casting lures will be provided).
- Most Fish Caught – Each fish a Scout catches should be recorded on the note card.
- Largest Fish Caught – Each Scout should recorded the length of each fish in inches on the note card, with the largest being entered for the award. Wooden rulers will be provided.
- Each Scout will get 1 Hour to fish. Once complete, please turn in your card at the registration table. Final hour of fishing will begin at 3pm.
- Please remember that this is a “Catch & Release” fishing activity.
- Take a picture and carefully place the fish back in the pond.
- Be respectful of our neighbors who live in the area.
- As always, let’s practice “Leave No Trace” at the fishing derby.